Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Making Chocolate

There is a certain brand of raw, organic chocolate that I love. So much so that I pay the exorbitant price and then divide it up into little portions that I keep in the fridge and savor one tiny piece at a time (which takes a lot of discipline!).

At the Taste of Christmas last year I noticed that there are quite a few people out their making raw and organic chocolate. All charge insane prices!

For a long time I've wanted to do some internet research and experiment. I had no idea it would be so easy to find a recipe and make your own chocolate. Best of all.... the first batch turned out perfectly, and almost identical to the one I have been buying.

So here's how to make your own chocolate....


Melt 5 tablespoons of organic cacao butter and 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil in a glass bowl over boiling water.

 

Once the cacao butter and coconut oil are melted remove from the stove and mix in 5 tablespoons of cacao powder, 5 tablespoons of agave syrup and vanilla from one pod.

One of the best smells on earth!


Pour into molds, put into the fridge to harden and......

Voila! Your own chocolate at a fraction of the cost.

Unfortunately, a fraction of the cost is still pretty expensive. I found that Faithful to Nature were the most reasonable for the ingredients, and I trust that their products are all natural and organic. Of course, I also love them because I can order online and it will arrive on my door-step a day or two later. 

I have since made another batch and doubled the recipe. This made 16 small bars. I'd be lying if I said I was as disciplined about eating it, but hey, it's healthy isn't it ;)

Happy baking & chocolate making!



No comments:

Post a Comment