Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hawaiian Crush

Anyone is Joburg will attest to the fact that last week was HOT! And I had a very serious craving for ice-cream. By Friday I was desperate. The trouble is, I'm not a huge fan of ice-cream (or anything milky / creamy). After browsing the internet for inspiration I decided to just kinda wing-it and came up with a variation of a Hawaiian Crush flavour ice-cream.

In my haste, I decided to forego the ice-cream maker and do it the old fashioned way, which was a lot more work (see below for those of you that don't own an ice-cream maker). In the end I had to wait until Sunday before getting a fix, but it was well worth the wait :)

 



At the last minute I decided to add fresh cherries that added a wonderful tartness that cut through the creaminess. The pieces of fresh pineapple gave it a little extra fruitiness too.

For those of you without an ice-cream maker, you can still make your own. Here's how:

Prepare your ice-cream mixture and then chill (either overnight in the fridge or in an ice bath).

Once chilled, pour your mixture into a suitable bowl and place in the freezer.

Check after 45 minutes. As it starts to freeze around the edges beat really well with a spatula or a whisk and return to the freezer.
From my experience I would recommend using a hand-held mixer rather. Beating it by hand didn't remove the ice crystals quite enough.

Check every 30 minutes, mixing up as it freezes.

And hey presto! in 2-3 hours you have ice-cream.

Happy ice-cream making!

No comments:

Post a Comment